Friday, February 3, 2012


After 30 hours of travelling, running through airports with 20 minute slots to catch my connections (resulting in a few connecting flights missed), I arrived in India. At 3AM I was greeted by some staff of the Global Alliance and was taken to a hotel where I later met 34 students from around the US whom i’d study with for the next 4 months. A little filled with eagerness, a little with reservations and nervousness, I met everyone and went through the whole “what’s your name . . . where are you from . . . what’s your major . . . awkward silence. I was glad that this phase didn’t last too long.

Um yea awkward

We then had a 4 day retreat in the mountains where we were pleasantly forced to get to know each other all day long –which was great but we all agreed on the necessity and lack thereof personal space. Some people were home sick, and some were just plain sick, but all of us were super excited to finally arrive in the most culturally rich and exciting place in the world (at least I like to think so)—India.


To rewind, I originally thought I would be studying in a rural area but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Pune is one of the largest and most populated cities in India. It’s full of people, cars, rick shaws, honking . . . cows . . . but best of all trees and mountains. It is also the epicenter of music and art, as I witness this every day waking up to my host mother’s violin playing and roommate’s traditional Indian singing.

This is a glimpse of the past two weeks and I apologize for my inability to post due to lack of internet and sheer laziness. I have already done so many cool things so look forward to the next post ;) full of rock climbing, trekking, elephants, pictures of my home and campus, and more. 

jet lag at its height


 The new fam


 tourists?

Sheer talent

Um yea...Stephen :)

3 comments:

  1. WOW... sounds intense and absolutely amazing!! Hopefully you've settled in nicely and are loving everything there. Guess what?? One of my new housemates at school is from PUNE! He cooks food sometimes :) and we watched this movie last week... supposedly one of the most famous/popular movies in Bollywood history. Was so good and I still can't get the music out of my head! Dilwale dulhania le jayenge :) Miss you, love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw awesome ask him to show u dostana! such a funny movie..miss u too! it was so nice catching up by our old house before i left :)..omg can't wait for mallorca! any progress on the apartment search?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing--I tell you this straight from the heart--that disgusts me in Salzburg is that one can't have any proper social intercourse with those people--and that music does not have a better reputation...For I assure you, without travel, at least for people from the arts and sciences, one is a miserable creature!...A man of mediocre talents always remains mediocre, may he travel or not--but a man of superior talents, which I cannot deny myself to have without being blasphemous, becomes--bad, if he always stays in the same place. If the archbishop would trust me, I would soon make his music famous; that is surely true.

    ReplyDelete